Recognized as one of BC's Top Employers (2021):
By Richard Yerema and Kristina Leung, Mediacorp Canada Inc. staff editors (Feb 15, 2021)
Here are some of the reasons why Jacob Bros Construction Inc. was selected as one of BC's Top Employers (2021):
- Jacob Bros Construction supports a number of charitable initiatives each year, focusing on programs that support youth, underprivileged children and local non-profits that assist the homeless -- additionally, the company matches employee donations of up to $500 per event
- Jacob Bros Construction takes a thoughtful approach when helping employees manage unexpected challenges, offering compassionate leave top-up for those called upon to care for a loved one (to 100 per cent of salary for up to four weeks)
- Jacob Bros Construction helps employees save for the future with matching RSP contributions and also offers referral bonuses as an incentive for employees who help recruit friends (to $1,000 per successful hire)
Jacob Bros proves resilient in a crisis
Jacob Bros. Construction Inc. opened for business in 2008, just before the onset of the global financial crisis, so the company knows a thing or two about rolling with the punches. But even by the often-volatile standards of the construction industry, the COVID-19 pandemic delivered an unprecedented wallop.
Almost overnight, Vancouver International Airport, which represented a significant amount of the company’s annual revenues, suspended all of its construction business.
Another major client, Mayfair Properties, which operates hotel and residential rental buildings, also put its expansion and renovation projects on hold for the foreseeable future.
“Overcoming adversity is in our DNA,” says Todd Jacob, chief operating officer and co-founder of Jacob Bros. “So we decided we should treat COVID-19 like any other risk and adopt a mitigation strategy.”
The company responded by leveraging its diverse capabilities on several fronts: it began to bid on more public tender contracts; it started to look for business well beyond its traditional base in the Lower Mainland; and it partnered with larger construction companies to participate in projects that would otherwise be beyond its reach.
The company also re-deployed staff in strategic ways, including self-performing more of the work that would normally have been contracted out to others.
Jacob Bros has not yet made up for the loss of those two major clients, but the company has proven remarkably resilient.
“Across Canada, the construction industry lost 266,000 workers in April alone,” says Jacob. “That’s 20 per cent of all construction jobs in a single month. To date, we haven’t laid off a single employee due to COVID-19, nor we expect to moving forward.”
As an essential service, Jacob Bros has continued to operate in the field, following all the necessary health and safety protocols. Office staff continue to work together, thanks to the recently opened 50,000-square-foot head office in South Surrey that is spacious enough to accommodate social distancing.
Ed Virvicius joined Jacob Bros as a project coordinator just two months before the pandemic struck. He’s been impressed by the way both management and employees have responded.
“The company has communicated with us in a clear and continuous way,” he says. “They’ve kept us informed of the challenges we’re facing and how the company is responding.”
Jacob Bros employees, he adds, are continuing to work as a dedicated and high-performing team.
“Everyone is enthusiastic, working hard and staying positive. We’re confident that, no matter what happens, we can get through this together.”
Recognized as one of Canada's Top Small & Medium Employers (2021):
By Richard Yerema and Kristina Leung, Mediacorp Canada Inc. staff editors (Apr 5, 2021)
Here are some of the reasons why Jacob Bros Construction Inc. was selected as one of Canada's Top Small & Medium Employers (2021):
- Jacob Bros Construction invests in ongoing employee development with tuition subsidies for job-related courses (to $2,500 per year), subsidies for professional accreditation and a range of in-house and online training options, including apprenticeships
- Jacob Bros Construction starts salaried employees with three weeks of paid vacation and considers previous work experience when setting vacation entitlements for experienced candidates